The principles are:
- All workers have a right to a healthy and safe workplace.
- Employers and employees should actively control against Coronavirus transmission but prepare plans for an outbreak in the workplace.
- Businesses with workplaces in different states and territories should develop a nationally consistent approach to prevent and control Coronavirus transmission.
- Employees should have a role in control measure development.
- Safe Work Australia will provide a central hub for Coronavirus-related work health and safety policies.
- State and territory governments should be the go-to for advice on and enforcement of coronavirus measures
For examples of practical strategies promoted by Safe Work Australia, visit their COVID-19 Information for Workplaces online hub. While the Government’s new COVIDSafe virus tracing app has been released this week, it is unlawful for an employer (or anyone) to require their employees (or anyone) to download or use the app.
If you require further information or have any queries in relation to this legal update please contact a member of our Safety and Employment team.
For assistance with risk management strategies for your workplace please contact Darren Sharry at DWF Risk.
We would like to acknowledge the contribution of Lachlan Thomas to this article.